Led by the Strong Conviction
that reading is everyone's right, the Hazel Soper Foundation is working to turn that right into a reality. Our outreach is focused on the millions of Spanish speakers who read the language at a basic level. To serve them, we are rewording the New Testament of the Bible, and other important and useful texts in what we call Easy to Read Spanish. Our publications communicate the full meaning of the original text while using
- Short sentences
- Simple sentence structures
- Everyday vocabulary (that is, common words used in daily conversations)
- Consistent use of words with a single meaning
- Footnotes near the referenced word, so the reader can easily find explanations for difficult words and irregular verbs
- Uncluttered page layout to facilitate ease of reading
We use our publications for teaching reading workshops. Our goal is assist people who have had little or no access to formal education to raise their reading skills so they can learn for themselves and fully participate in society.
Based in Bogota, Colombia, the foundation is led by CEO Andres Mejia under the direction of founder, Dr. Jay Charles Soper.